An Oil Thread

Thread: An Oil Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Smile An Oil Thread

This is always a fun topic oil and filters.
    When I had my GL1500 Goldwing trike I used Honda GN4 and an OEM filter and the oil was changed every 2500 miles or maybe less due to excess stop and go traffic.
    I have a simple theory; oil is cheap and engines are expensive.
    Life is too short, eat dessert first.
    Member#18

2. Remove Advertisements
    F6Baggers.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trike lady View Post
    This is always a fun topic oil and filters.
    When I had my GL1500 Goldwing trike I used Honda GN4 and an OEM filter and the oil was changed every 2500 miles or maybe less due to excess stop and go traffic.
    I have a simple theory; oil is cheap and engines are expensive.
    I know this is an old thread but I canít believe nobody bit on this! 90% of the time, these threads are popcorn worthy every time.
    Iíve used a lot of different oils from diesel oils to cheap and expensive motorcycle oils and my favorites are Spectro products and maxima. I started settling on both of them because Iíve been riding older bikes and those brands generally have good levels of zinc which helps with engine wear and clutch operation.
    That being said, I have never really had a bad experience with anything Iíve tried including running into a autozone to get a filter and oil in a pinch.
    On a hayabusa years ago, I used Honda gn4 and then switched to spectro golden and immediately noticed a difference in valve train noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Thankstrike lady thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most forums its an active topic. Thank you for bringing it back to life hopefully the members will see it an add to it.
    Life is too short, eat dessert first.
    Member#18

6. Remove Advertisements
    F6Baggers.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have a list of oil filters that fit our bikes ?

Most bike specific forums that I've been on someone eventually posts a list of what oil filters fit our bikes. I don't believe that the Honda filters are any better than other filters, but the price is usually higher. I still have some filters left over from my Valkyrie and wanted to see if they were also appropriate for the larger F6B engine. One of the Fram filters that I had was a Ph 6017A. It looks very similar to the STP filter that the local parts store recommended for my F6B, which is an S 6017A. A coincidence, I think not! But then I also had a SuperTech that I purchased at Wally World that they said fit the Valkyrie. It's a little larger and is a ST 3593A. So I'm curious if anyone has access to a converstion chart that will tell us which filters fit these engines.

Stan
    [email protected]